Climate Change Is Now, Threatens Food, Coastlines, Soaring Costs says IPCC, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the largest reputable global body of climate scientists, report Tim McDonnell, Jeremy Schulman, and James West at the Climate Desk. What you need to know:
Via the University of East Anglia Climate Change webpage
1. Climate Change Impacts Are Now Global
2. Heat Waves, Fires, And Droughts Are Major US Threats
3. Food Prices Will Soar as sources become unpredictable and population booms – expect conflicts
An Alaskan house falls into the sea, victim of coastal storm erosion. Credit Tony Weylouanna.
4. Coastal Communities Will Flood And Erode
5. Climate Refugees Will Increase, possibly conflicts, too
6. Human Health Will Suffer
How do you adapt to ever worsening extreme weather?
7. Adapting To Climate Change Will Cost More Than We Have judging from the present.
8. We Can Reduce Climate Change Through Cutting Carbon/Greenhouse Gas Emissions, mostly through not burning fossil fuels. WE CAN SAVE ENORMOUS AMOUNTS OF MONEY by developing clean energy sources ASAP.
Finally, this report represents a conservative consensus developed over years. Thus, the track record of past IPCC reports shows that they typically underestimate the magnitude and speed of developing threats. Yeah – the threats and costs are worse than portrayed.
OO Obama, EU Leaders: Sustainable Economic Growth Impossible Without Climate Action
OO Climate Change ‘Already Affecting Food Supply’ – IPCC
OO Bees, Pollinated Crops, At Risk From Climate Change
OO Big Climate Danger Could Arrive As Soon As 2036
OO UN Climate Science Report Will Highlight ‘Limits To Adaptation’
US Samoa. Credit Acepharma at Wikimedia Commons.
OO Hundreds Of Pacific Islands Wiped Out By 1m Sea Level Rise – IPCC
OO Climate Change Will Hike Air Pollution Deaths Says UN Study
OO World Unprepared For Climate Damage To Food Security
Join the swelling numbers of voters TELLING Congress they’ll vote for Clean Energy candidates here: http://signon.org/sign/we-are-the-clean-99?source=c.em.cp&r_by=487176 . This is an ongoing campaign (the next Congressional election is this year!) so please, spread the word. It’s our way of telling Congress that a strong clean energy voting bloc is out there. This is how YOU can make a difference.
For more on Climate Change, check out my weekly column at the HuffingtonPost, Climate Change This Week : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/index.php?author=mary-ellen-harte
Find this interesting? Please re-post it!