Defeating Defeatism: Why the US Should Succeed On Climate Change reports
Joe Romm at Climate Progress, answers a defeatist article with 5 good reasons on why the US should and can succeed on climate change:
1. What the US needs to do is very cheap economically and will have little effect on growth, as key clean technologies are plummeting in cost.
2. All US voters are severely affected by climate change, and will be increasingly motivated to elect leaders who act on climate change, as the effects and benefits of action become more obvious — whether it’s rising food prices, storm damage, increasingly extreme weather or the money saving benefits of clean energy.
3. If we address climate change, we will not be sacrificing so much as ensuring a better quality of life through less pollution and a safer climate.
Hurricane Sandy broke a seasonal record, occurring later than another other US hurricane on record. Credit: NOAA.
4. No matter how bad it might be now, it will be much worse if we continue to delay acting. The time to act on climate change is always now.
5. International awareness and action on climate change continues to increase and involve key emitters, such as China, which plans to cap its emissions.
When it comes to climate change,
HOPE IS A MORAL IMPERATIVE!
Join the swelling numbers of voters TELLING Congress they’ll vote for Clean Energy candidates here: http://signon.org/sign/we-are-the-clean-99?source=c.em.cp&r_by=487176 . This is an ongoing campaign (the next Congressional election is this year!) so please, spread the word. It’s our way of telling Congress that a strong clean energy voting bloc is out there. This is how YOU can make a difference.
For more on Climate Change, check out my weekly column at the HuffingtonPost, Climate Change This Week : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/index.php?author=mary-ellen-harte
Find this interesting? Please re-post it!