Here’s my graphic line of connecting dots:
1. Almost all scientists (97%) and businesses agree: our fossil fuel pollution is warming the Earth, which is making our climate more extreme – hotter, colder, wetter, drier. Check out the latest IPCC reports. Insurance companies, major banks, and other major businesses agree.
2. Fossil fuel pollution is increasing yearly, damaging our economies by increasinghealth costs, crop and environmental damage, driving rising sealevels, and fueling further climate change with ever worsening catastrophic weather – thinkmegadroughts, for example.
3. It will get worse — much worse, because of ferocious feedbacks, such as:
a. the albedo effect: darker waters replacing melting white ice (eg, Arctic ice cap, a large planetary heat shield) will absorb far more heat, feeding global heating;
The accelerating release of a very potent greenhouse gas, methane, from melting giant reserves in the tundra and undersea, has been called the methane bomb, because it could explosively increase global heating.
b. release of more greenhouse gases from gigantic reserves in the tundra, undersea methane deposits, and soils worldwide, as global heating warms them.
4. Renewable clean energy (especially solar and wind) is as cheap as fossil fueled energy in some US areas, getting cheaper, is spreading, and is becoming a mainstream power source for US consumers — but not fast enough.
5. The US clean energy sector is the fastest growing economic and job sector of our economy.
6. Technology and financing mechanisms continue to make clean energy more affordable.
7. Energy storage technology now makes clean energy as reliable as fossil fuels – we can make a massive switch to clean energy now.
8. Delay has already cost the world trillions. Further delays will be costlier, as extreme weather costs skyrocket.
9. The major roadblock are political leaders who do not support clean energy.
10. YOU CAN ACT:
a. Urge Congress to Support Clean Energy Victory Bonds Bill – contact your representatives.
b. VOTE FOR CLEAN ENERGY LEADERS this November and in all future elections – make clean energy a top voting priority, and urge friends and family to do the same.
c. Speak out: join the worldwide CLIMATE MARCH September 21, 2014 – within the US, in New York, and elsewhere. Go here to learn more.
Economic prosperity, good jobs, cheap energy, and health can replace pollution, environmental destruction, extreme weather, rising gas prices, and economic disasters if we divest from fossil fuels and switch to clean energy ASAP. It’s like, DUH!
First published at the huffingtonpost.
Join the swelling numbers of voters TELLING Congress they’ll vote for Clean Energy candidates here. This is an ongoing campaign (the next Congressional election is this year!) so please, spread the word. It’s our way of telling Congress that a strong clean energy voting bloc is out there. This is how YOU can make a difference.
For more on Climate Change, check out my weekly column at the HuffingtonPost, Climate Change This Week
Find this interesting? Please re-post it!